Proactive Legal Support for IP Owners and Licensees
Intellectual property is the core of many of our clients’ businesses, and is fundamental to our practice. We have a long and successful record of supporting clients with IP protection and monetization of IP rights directly and through licensing arrangements. Gamma Law supports clients with trademark and copyright registration and registration challenges in the US and internationally, working with our network of trusted specialist lawyers in various jurisdictions. We advise on legal trade secret protection, work-for-hire arrangements and IP assignments.
For clients in content-related businesses such as film/TV and video games, we provide real-time advice and guidance regarding rights-clearance issues arising in production and assist with infringement claims and responses. We help clients navigate third-party IP conflict situations and submit and respond to DMCA requests and takedowns to streaming platforms. Our specialist trademark lawyer advises on strategies for asserting and protecting rights in trademarks and domains in the US and internationally.
IP licensing is an important part of our practice. We have negotiated and closed thousands of content and technology licensing transactions for clients, ranging from video game license agreements with Hollywood studios to SAAS agreements for enterprise software to localization and streaming of popular Japanese anime titles. Due to long-term relationships with most of our clients, we have had the opportunity to see these agreements through their entire life cycles, in some cases ten years or more, and understand the many and varied issues and disputes that can and often do arise in the course of a license relationship. This perspective and nuanced understanding in turn positions us to draft and negotiate the best possible license agreements for our clients, limiting risks and maximizing the likelihood of long-term success.
- Represented major US streaming site in numerous license agreements with Japanese TV studios and other rights holders.
- Represented international video game publisher in license-in arrangements with virtually all major Hollywood studios for premier mobile game titles.
- Represented developer of semiconductor design (EDA) tool in license agreements with the world’s largest semiconductor companies.
- Developed international trademark strategy and managed trademark registration program for major video game publisher.
- Represented developer of interactive screen display fixtures and software in customer license agreements.
- Represented US home video producer in negotiating some fifty agreements to secure exclusive rights to popular Korean TV dramas for translation and distribution in US.
- Negotiated perpetual license agreements for client technology in connection with acquisition of client.